Friday Link Fest & Open Thread

Happy Friday the 13th!  I turned 13 on a Friday the 13th … besides it being an overall craptastic first year as a teenager, the day has never bode ill will overall (for me anyway).  What kind of Friday the 13th experiences have you had?  As a treat, here’s a link to some strange things that have happened on Friday the 13th’s.  Coincidence?

Roy Waldron Elementary School is set to have the playground ribbon cutting ceremony on Thursday, August 19th from 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.  Help the school celebrate their big Pepsi grant win!

Planning Commission Chairman John Rutledge remembered as a great man who loved LaVergne.

Did you know LaVergne has a curfew for teenagers?  We now know it!  Oops…. hats off to our police force for watching out for our kids and demonstrating the exact right amount of scaring the crap out of the kids while respecting the parents ability to mete out the punishment.  Well done, officers!

On the campaign front, we will apparently have three candidates at this point running for mayorj.  Two have turned in their papers:  Incumbent Ronnie Erwin and Alderwoman Senna Mosley.  Mike Slinker has picked up his papers.

For Alderman, we may see eight candidates in all.  Officially on the ballot:  Chris Farmer, Katherine (Kandy) Pierce, and Teresa Bess Smith.  Others who have picked up papers: Randy Barnes, Thomas Broeker, David Gammon, Sherry Green, and Joshua Pope.

Finally, we are seeking questions that you have for our local candidates.  If you have any, send them to me at kathy (dot) tyson (at) comcast (dot) net and we’ll see if we can get some answers for you!

19 comments for “Friday Link Fest & Open Thread

1. chris farmer
    August 13, 2010 at 11:15 am

They have started on the playground at Roy Waldron this morning. Looks like it is going to be a big playground. Congratulations and Thank You to everyone who voted so they could get it.

2. chris farmer
    August 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

I would like to tell everyone who has been supporting me for running for Alderman thank you. I also would like to ask the citizens of La Vergne to please call me if you see anyone taking my signs. I have undoubtly made an enemy here somehow because somebody is taking my signs as quick as I can put them up. I would not care if I was just running for "fun" but my own family who does not live here have spent a lot of time and money helping me get these signs. I have made the city of La Vergne my home for me and my wife and son. We will be staying here elected or not because we love it here. I am running for alderman to be a voice for the citizens of La Vergne and to keep it a good place to live. I hope to someday have grandchildren that live here also. If anyone wants a sign let me know I will be more than happy to bring it to you. I just don't want to see them disappear. Chris Farmer
    615-403-0941

3. Master Drill Sargent
    August 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Dear Mr. Farmer I am sorry to hear about your signs coming up missing, it is a shame that a citizen of La Vergne would stoop to such a low level to do this kind of thing. I just hope that one of your running opponnets is not the one taking them for if they are it is a dirty game of pool that they are playing. And if it is I hope someone sees them and will call you and let you know, as far as i am concerned those signs are your property and no one should be touching them but you. And if you can't run in this campaign and play fair then how are you going to run our city? I hope you have no more trouble with this issue. I will try and help keep an eye out for your signs as well. If know one else has said this to you then let me be the first, welcome to La Vergne and our family wishes you the best and hopes that you and your family will stay no matter what the out come of the election is, And by the way, you have our vote. I have spoke with a few police officers and told them about this and they have told me that they will keep an eye out for anyone messing with them. Master Drill Sargent

4. James R. Mosley
    August 13, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Chris
    Senna ran for Mayor of La Vergne in 2006 against Ronnie Erwin. I put my time and heart into every sign that she had up in La Vergne. We started with 100 – 24/18 and 25 48/32. Chris, we lost half of small signs, and several of the big signs. We caught the thieves one time but it was ignored. We both hate political signs and virtually all others, we both think that they make our city look trashy. Unfortunately they are the only affordable way to get your name out. By the way, the Director of codes at that time, Tom H_ _ _ y admitted stealing ours and throwing them away in the dumpster behind Food Lion. I wanted to go to his house and get the money for them, but Senna has a forgiving sole. I, on the other hand, don’t. May I give all a piece of advice. Keep your signs clean, carry trash bags and a weed eater, ask your friends to help you watch your signs, and last but not least expect to loose some. Senna says that It is a privilege and a pleasure to serve the people of La Vergne all. I see is a lot of work. Good luck to you.

5. August 14, 2010 at 7:21 am

Well now that I no longer work for the city of LaVergne,Tn. I can say a few things with out back lash. First I would like to see some people in charge of the city that have some education in goverment. Its sad to watch how Smyrna, Nolensville and other small towns or cities grow and we don't. We have a run down motel off Waldron Rd. and Charter Pl. that's an eyesore (Driftwood). The citizens on the south side of the city should not have to look at this run down area everyday. I would like to see the city go in a new direction. There are citizens that live in McFarland Point, who don't even tell their family members or friends that they live in LaVergne because of its run down look. Now to address that issue. If you are blessed, and are able to live in nice areas and don't want to tell people that you live here, MOVE. Go to Williamson Or Davidson County, pay their high taxes and cost of living. I live in LaVergne and don't mind saying it. Also to the person or people that don't want the LaVergne Police driving through McFarland Point, tell the criminal element that and see what happens. If the officers don't come in the area, the crooks will. I live on the south side of the city and would like to see the officers more, but I know that's hard sometimes with man power issues. Also about taxes. No one wants to pay more taxes including me, but we can not continue to run this city on the current tax rate. 0.20 to 0.30 increase will not kill us. Put it in the Police Department, Fire Department, road projects, beautification projects. And for the city leaders that say putting trees in the grassy areas along the side of the road. If some one damages one of the trees( accident, crazy driving etc..) make that person pay for damages in fines. Long story short, my fellow citizens we can make this city a better place to live in if we ALL do our part. Regardless of were you live in the city, lets do our part. And pet owners, clean up after your pets and control them. Its not the police officer's job to deal with barking dogs. I hated those calls. The police academy does not include classes in Doctor Dolittle. And to the parents that have kids that don't want to get up in the morning for school, or that refuse to listen. Take the door of the hinges and take their bed and if that doesn't work jack them up. Why do the police have to come to your house 5:30-06:00 in the morning? Some of you may be glad to read this, some may be upset. Oh well.

• Cricket123
      August 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Well said!!! Now who do we call to get the jacked-up stoplights on Waldron Road to be somewhat synchronized? The congestion was horrible to begin with and the construction (which should be nice when completed) has it just become insane!

I, personally, like seeing the PD cruise through my neighborhood…I would much rather see them than crooks and thugs!

• Kitti
      August 16, 2010 at 11:32 am

I am happy to see police cars patroling my neighborhood. I will usually wave hello!

And I love the idea of adding more trees to our green spaces and street sides. A shaded road makes for lower air-conditioning costs in neighboring houses, and makes being on the road more pleasant. Oh, and they clean the air. More trees!

I would like to see the light at Old Nashville Hwy and Jefferson/Centennial get a turn arrow added. In the afternoon, there is a long line of cars waiting behind someone who needs to turn left. They're all idling and smogging up that neighborhood.

• jenn
      August 17, 2010 at 4:48 pm

HA! Dr. Doolittle. That's so funny. On a somewhat serious note, I just pray that the right people will get into office. Any word on the City Overlay that they were discussing a couple of months ago?

Thanks for you insight MMV

August 14, 2010 at 9:34 am

So . . . anybody care to provide the details of the curfew?! I had no idea we had such a thing.

• michaelinLV
      August 14, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I agree with Sherry – What is the curfew???

• mark
      August 14, 2010 at 8:20 pm

curfew is at 11pm during the week and midnight on weekends for anyone under 17 yrs old. they can be with a parent out past these times. I know I enforce the curfew at the bowling center all summer long.

August 15, 2010 at 8:50 am

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but does "under 17" include 17-year-olds, or does the curfew not apply if you're 17?

• mark
        August 15, 2010 at 9:27 am

YES 17 YRS OLD AND UNDER!!

August 14, 2010 at 8:32 pm

MMV, I agree and disagree with a few of your points.

In regards to McFarlin Pointe, they may technically be in LV city limits but those properties are marketed as being in Nolensville since they have a Nolensville mailing address. It's hard to criticize people for saying they don't live in La Vergne when their mailing address is not La Vergne. I will be honest, usually when people ask me where I live I tell them Smyrna. It's not just that La Vergne is an embarrassment (although too often it is), but the fact that people outside of Middle Tennessee are more familiar with Smyrna than La Vergne.

I wouldn't be so quick to tell people who aren't proud of La Vergne to just move. I can tell you of several of my neighbors who do not like the direction of our city and would move today… If they could sell there home for anywhere close to the amount they owe on it. I personally could probably sell my house and move if I wanted to, but I would be selling for about 20% less than I paid for my house 5 years ago, and to me that math doesn't make sense. And I don't want to move, I want my city to simply look at what successful cities are doing and follow their direction.

I agree that La Vergne can and should do more to follow some of our peer cities in regards to development. I have said before I would support a property tax increase under the right circumstances (the plan for use of the increased funds is clear and the current M/A board is in agreement on said plans). I personally think the direction of this city won't be clear for at least another 3-5 years. If housing comes back strong (as in 1990 terms not 2003 terms), this city is in a good position to take advantage of it assuming our city leaders plan better developements. If Housing is weakened as many predict, and homeownership rates drop below 50% I wouldn't be surprised to see rental property and section 8 property go through the roof. IMO, having a neighborhood with renter to homeowner ration higher than 10% would be a very bad trend and would result in people bailing out of their homes and property values plumetting. Already we see that La Vergne City limits has seen property values fall farther as a percentage than anywhere else in Rutherford county. It is a disturbing trend that I hope will be reversed.

8. chris farmer
    August 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Master drill sargent and James R. Mosely thank you both for the response. Unfortunately I guess it is just fun for someone to take my signs. My son just called and found where some are missing again. I personally don't like having to put the signs up but there is not really a lot of ways to make contact with everyone in town. It is sad that some people do not take the election serious. I will keep putting up signs as long as I have them and when I run out I will order more I guess. That is the only thing I can do at this time. Just makes me wonder who wants to keep me out so bad. Luckily they are just signs and I am serious about this election so I will keep on campaigning.

9. Elizabeth
    August 21, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Chris, have you spoke with Ronnie Mosely about missing signs. Maybe the same person that took their signs a few years ago may be taking yours as well. Just a thought.

10. September 6, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Thank you MV for your input. We live to disagree as long as we don't become disagreeable with each other. You are right McFarland Point is in Nolensville, but no law enforcement agency from Williamson Co. will come and patrol your neigborhood. It would be nice if all neighborhoods would care about the entire area. I see people dump their cigarette butts on the ground, but their vehicles have ash trays in them. They are to lazy to stop some where and dispose of them in orderly manner.Its going to take some time to clean up this city. I notice all the nice motels Smyrna has built near the Sam Ridley exit. It would have been nice if we could have had a few of those, and with metro getting all those big ticket events, LaVergne would gain tax funds from those events as well. We must go in a new direction as a city. I hope our new city leaders coming into office soon will look into bringing this city up to par. Vote people, and no more warehouse on this side of town. We have enough over here and some that are not being used.

11. EARL F WILSON
    September 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm

McFarlin Point has a Nolensville PSOT OFFICE

12. EARL F WILSON
    September 7, 2010 at 1:22 pm

McFarlin Pointe has a Nolensville mailing address but is in the city limits of La Vergne and in Rutherford County.

Hey JB Rose call me….967 5963