National Night Out on Tuesday

As I learned during the childhood days of this site, LaVergne indeed DOES sponsor a National Night Out (Against Crime) in our own backyard – just like other cities also host. What’s different about it this year?  We’ll have an information table set up for future baton twirlers!  So please come by and say hello and if you have a school-aged girl (or boy) so we can see if there’s enough interest in re-opening a baton class in LaVergne.

From the city:

La Vergne’s annual National Night Out, slated from 6 – 9 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 3 will offer fun and more for residents of La Vergne. The event will take place at Veteran’s Memorial Park, 115 Floyd Mayfield Drive in La Vergne and is free.

Among the activities taking place that night are a softball game between the Police and Fire Department (6:30 p.m.), a tug-of-war between the PD and FD (8 p.m.) and a watermelon seed spitting contest.

Lifeflight is also expected to attend. A magic show by Copy Cats, inflatables from Jump, Jump Bounce and face painting by the Police Athletic League will also take place that night. Jack FM (102.9) will also be on hand that evening. Various vendors within the area will also be on site for the families.

There will be free hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, ice cream, snow cones, popcorn and cotton candy.  The La Vergne Rescue Squad, Fire Department, FD and PD and Box 100 will be there offering visual showcases of their vehicles. U.S. Tae Kwan Do will do demonstrations that evening.

For more information, contact Cpl. Buster Locklayer at 793-7744 or Tammy Sullivan at 287-8610.

8 comments for “National Night Out on Tuesday

1. Adrianne Foreman
    August 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

This is irrelevant, but Jack FM is 96.3

Ok carry on. 🙂

2. Alderman Senna Mosle
    August 2, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Hey, I won the seed spitting contest one year.

3. August 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm

So will Jack FM be there? Hope so! It's on my A-list (compared to my daughter's B-list controls which are bleh…)

4. Katherine Kandy Pier
    August 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Tonight was GREAT! Thanks to Everyone! The officers and firefighters that got down and dirty for our enjoyment. All of the vendors and booths to inform and entertain us. All of the public safety gays and gals getting to know the citizens. The Boy Scouts and Bob Simon for the burgers, hot dogs, and drinks we enjoyed. For the groups I missed thanks to you too! Most of all I want to say thanks to all of the LaVergne citizens that came out to have a good time and meet their neighbors. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did tonight, it was well worth enduring the heat!.

• blah blah
      August 4, 2010 at 12:44 am

I'm sure she meant "public safety guys"!

Good job everybody. Tonight's events were great. To the Police and Fire departments – Thank you for all of the hard work you do for our city. Same to the Rescue Squad, Box 100 and all of our public works departments. All of our city employees are underpaid and overworked. You deserve more credit than what you get.

• Katherine Kandy Pier
        August 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Yes, I did mean guys. So very sorry if my typo upset any one it was honestly just a typo. I forgot to hit spell check, due to being a little tired from the heat and handing out all those burgers and hot dogs.
        Thank you very much for pointing this out blah blah so I could apologize to everyone for that mistake.

• blah blah
        August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I knew it was a typo, but I thought it was pretty funny! I got a good laugh out of it.

5. Katherine Kandy Pier
    August 7, 2010 at 8:16 pm

As long as the public safety GUYS laughed to because lord knows I did not mean to offend anyone!