Six Feet Under and Deeper in Debt

I had brunch with a friend of mine and our conversation turned a bit macabre.  Forgive me for asking, but why doesn’t LaVergne have a city cemetery?  I know there’s the Sand Hill Cemetery (is that the name of it on Hollandale right after you turn right at the three way?).  There are a couple of family plots here and there.  But no city cemetery.

If you live in LaVergne, you will have to go to Smyrna or Murfreesboro or Nashville or somewhere else to be buried.  Unless you’re cremated and sit on someone’s hearth.  Or like one of my friend’s once said, she wanted her ashes scattered on the steps of pubs throughout the world, but only if they’re awesomely fun.  I guess we could always opt for a lake burial out there in the middle of LaVergne Lake.   O.o   (Wait…) (haha…)

In all seriousness, don’t most towns have their own cemeteries?  As I think of all the other places I’ve lived or visited, every single community had a place – whether the population was 2,000 or 200 or20,000.  We even have an annual cemetery cleaning at Piney Grove Cemetery in Kentucky where families who have ancestors resting eternal pitch in $100 each to offset the maintenance costs.

Just curious, that’s all.

6 comments for “Six Feet Under and Deeper in Debt

1. Theresa
    May 20, 2010 at 12:51 pm

K-getting to know you is an adventure, one I am having fun on!!!

Theresa

2. Cee Dee
    May 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm

The cemetary on Holland Ridge is the Mason Family Cemetary. The Sand Hill Cemetary is located at the intersection of Fergus & Hollandale Roads.

3. Jennifer
    May 20, 2010 at 3:16 pm

There's the cemetery on Waldron Rd too near McDonalds but it doesn't look to be more than a family cemetery either…

4. Cricket123
    May 20, 2010 at 4:33 pm

The Waldron family has a cemetary on Carothers Rd. There is also a family cemetary right behind the library – the Buchanan family, I think.

May 20, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Honestly, I have thought the exact same thing. I've always thought that because there was so much rock in this area, a large cemetary like in Nashville would be hard to develop.

6. chris farmer
    May 20, 2010 at 7:44 pm

We always have a "rock quarry" that needs to be filled back in with dirt so it isn't a giant mosquito breeding hole! Since there is no other use for it, why not fill it in and there you go perfect place for a cemetery.