City Announcements: Flood, Water Dept. & OP ED

From the city,

Emergency Information

Mayor Ronnie Erwin has announced that the City has setup an Emergency Assistance Number 355-3000. This number will be staffed by City employees and volunteers to provided assistance citizens that need additionally aid. This number is not to take the place of the standard non-emergency number 793-7744 or 911. Those numbers are still fully available to citizens.

A Temporarily Cleanup Center, is being setup at 670 Old Nashville Highway. The center will be available for citizens to bring their damaged household items (furniture, carpet, drywall, wood, brush, etc.) for the next few days. The Center will be open from 8AM till 8PM.

Through the recent flooding, the City of La Vergne’s water continues to be safe to drink. There will be no interruption of service due to the recent flooding.

Finally, Nir Shreibman Boulevard has been closed today due to repairs needed because of damage from the rains last weekend. It will be opened by rush hour traffic today.

And (listed second because our priority remains the emergency situation):

Water Meter Audit to be Conducted

Mayor Ronnie Erwin has heard rumors that there are some meters in La Vergne that are not being billed and are not accounted for. Therefore, he is asking for the water department and public works to conduct an audit of all of the water meters in town, making sure each one is accounted for. He also wants the departments  to ensure that each of the meters is being billed the proper amount each month. This audit should begin immediately.

And my OP ED,

I think this is good that an audit is being conducted by the city regarding water meters.  I know several years ago when I had to have water turned on at one of my listings for an inspection, I had to pay a fee for the service.  Then I heard from other agents that they did NOT have to pay because they were affiliated with some builders, etc.  That really frosted my butt.  Not because I had to pay – because I don’t mind paying my fair share – but that it wasn’t equitable to everyone.

My concern then is who will be conducting the audit?  Is it the same individuals who make the decisions that treat different people with different rules?  If that’s the case, what will the audit find?  Probably nothing.  May I suggest that Mayor Erwin appoint someone who is unbiased to conduct the audit, to supervise with full authority and access to all the files.  That the audit be conducted before anyone has a chance to purge files – whether on paper or electronic.  Maybe he has already done this… I hope so.  Otherwise I don’t believe an audit will discover anything out-of-the-ordinary.

9 comments for “City Announcements: Flood, Water Dept. & OP ED

1. FlagirlinTN
    May 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I just want to be charged ONLY for the water I use. My bill is the same every month telling me that if I shut if off and went out of town for a month, I'd still be charged $25.68.

2. mark
    May 5, 2010 at 7:07 pm

no comment

3. May 6, 2010 at 7:18 am

What you would be charged is the basic rate for the privilege of having water service.

This is a combination of water, sewer and storm water fees.

Every utility has a minimum bill (so does the City of La Vergne). Everyone who uses 0 – 2,000 gallons of water plays a bill of $25.68.

If you are planning to go out of town for an extended period of time, you can come into City Hall and make the account inactive and then, when you return, you can make it active again. There is no charge for this.

4. TH
    May 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

Please Senna, if you are in the loop, give us the details.

May 6, 2010 at 11:16 am

As long as the audit is not done by a person named Waldron or Shreibman, I'll feel good about the results.

Any word if Ronnie Erwin is planning to seek re-election? I know a couple of years ago he thought about running for state senate. Just curious.

6. chris farmer
    May 6, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I have to agree with the fact that if the same people are going to the audit that have been taking care of the billing or issuing of water meters, nothing will be accomplished. I would suspect if there is corruption and files to be "purged" they are already gone!

I think its time for the citizens of La Vergne to vote! If there is wrong doing we will know if the citizens research the people who are going to run for offices and meet with them and ask questions. Then think about who you feel will do what is best for the city. I hope more people vote than normal and take the time to vote for who they feel is best not just a familiar name.

Chris Farmer
    615-568-8158
    Chris-farmer@comcast.net

7. chris farmer
    May 7, 2010 at 5:01 am

I have a question for anyone who can answer this. Since our water dept is in the negative and there are rumors of wrong doing, what is going to happen to our water bills if say the state comes in and takes over? Are they gonna jump the price of our water bills to whatever they want to get the water dept out of debt? Or can the state even come in and take control? It looks like someone would step in if our water dept is in the negative and not making money and the city does not have the money to cover it? I am asking because this is all new to me and I would personally like to know.

Chris Farmer
    615-568-8158
    Chris-farmer@comcast.net

8. May 7, 2010 at 7:33 am

Good questions… Looking at the stats that bearroller posted earlier, I don't think that by just collecting the write-offs would be enough to get the water dept back in the black. Part of the problem is the huge rate hike that Nashville is charging LaV AND other cities like Franklin, etc. (though collecting that money would help a LOT, as would actually charging people *cough* quarry who have used water for years without paying a dime). The question is … would it be enough? Or is it genuinely time for our rates to go up. I'm not looking for a free ride, but I don't want to pay an unfair share either.

9. chris farmer
    May 7, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Kathy I have to agree! I don't want my water bill to go up but if the city is having to pay more, then common sense would just seem to me that they would have to pass the extra on to us. But I don't feel that we should have to make up for what they decided to not pass on to us now and make up the difference. Someone should have stepped up sooner and voted for a rate increase before it got to this point! I can't speak for everyone but I would have payed a little extra then instead of what may be passed on to us now to make up what has been lost! I really do feel like if the state has to step in it is gonna "hurt"!