Election Schedule for LaVergne

Given that we are already hearing about people running for office in LaVergne, I wanted to provide readers who are interested in seeking office with some preliminary information provided by the Rutherford County Election Commission.

The election date is November 2, 2010 and is in conjunction with the State General Election.

You may pick up your petitions to run starting on May 21, 2010 from the Rutherford County Election Commission.  This petition must be signed by at least 25 qualified, registered voters who live in LaVergne.

The qualifying deadline for independent candidates is August 19, 2010.

Offices up for election in LaVergne because term ends in November, 2010:

Mayor
Vice Mayor (via Alderman position held by Jerry Gann)
Alderman (Sherry Green)

So far from this site, we have heard from Chris Farmer that he intends to run for Alderman via a comment,

Let me start off by introducing myself I am Chris Farmer, I am a Paramedic for Rutherford County Ems and I am work at the Lavergne station and also live in Lavergne. I have been a working on the ambulance for 18 years. I moved to Lavergne from Arkanasas 5 years ago this November. Arkansas was where I was born and raised, but since I moved to Lavergne this has turned into HOME for me and my family. We love this town and the friends we have made here are wonderful and will not move anywhere else. I am Assistant Chief of Box 100 and my wife and 16 year old son are also members of Box 100. Now with all that being said I am going to answer the question of who is running for alderman. ME. It is not official as we all know the paperwork can not be picked up until May 21. I want anyone who has questions or concerns to feel free to contact me at chris-farmer@comcast.net. I will answer any questions I can to the best off my knowledge. I truly do look forward to serving the people of Lavergne if I get elected. As soon as it is Official that my name is on the ballot I will post my phone number on here so you can call me with your questions or concerns. I would be happy to meet anyone who does not know me or wants to sit down and talk just shoot me an email and I will respond and we can get together and discuss any concerns. I hope to hear from you and I will be posting comments on here also. Thank you for taking time to read this lengthy post, but I felt that I should at least let everyone know who I was and that I was running and not try and hide behind an anonymous post as some others appear to be doing.

Senna Mosley also indicated she’s running for mayor via a comment when Sherry asked if Senna was ready to step up to the plate,

YOU BET!!!!!!!!! If yall are willing to give me a chance I am willing.

And I just confirmed this on the phone with her that Senna Mosley is indeed running for mayor.  I’ll leave this post open to comments if anyone wants to add anything.

Candidates may say they are running, but legally cannot accept donations or set up any accounts for campaigning.

Congratulations to Chris and Senna for unofficially announcing and THANK YOU for letting us know here at This is LaVergne first!

42 comments for “Election Schedule for LaVergne

1. mark
    April 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

I see change coming in 2010 for the city of LaVergne.

Senna 2010!!

2. Sarah N
    April 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but I think if you're going to run for office in a city, then you ought to be able to spell the name of said city correctly.

3. April 26, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Sarah – LOL… I think truly we have more things to be concerned about than whether there's a space and/or two capital letters. In fact, I think besides opening up board meetings so citizens can speak without a two-day in advance appointment, I think we should also ask for the city's name to be spelled differently. Like ditch the space between La and Vergne and maybe drop the "G"… LaVerne. Or we could change the name completely to something like Fangtown or Shoehorn. :o)

4. chris farmer
    April 26, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Sarah you got me on that one! I proof read what I was going to say more than once and after I posted it I saw a mistake. I am sorry I did not put a space in between the a and v or capitalize the V. I may have flaws in my spelling or grammar mistakes, but I am very happy to be a citizen of this city La Vergne and to be able to try and help with getting our fine city back on its feet. I have seen there are budget shortfalls and other problems that have arose. It takes a team to make things work. I just want to be more of a part of the team. I may not be the right person for the job in everyone opinion, that is why I posted on here so everyone can ask questions and make a decision come voting time to decide if they think I am the right person, but I can promise I will listen to what people have to say and do research on all items to be addressed so I can at least ask questions on behalf of the people and hopefully make the best decisions for the citizens. I also know many people have things they want changed in this town and I have heard many great ideas from people, but I am one voice we need to come together as a community and make this the greatest city in the state!! I have faith in the people of this town and it has to start with everyone voicing their opinions and volunteering a little time to the causes they are concerned with but I think we can make it what it needs to be and hopefully get the city budget back on its feet so we can provide better services and opportunities for everyone who want to make La Vergne their home! And thanks for keeping me on my toes with the spelling! I will try not to let that happen again. Lol

April 27, 2010 at 9:18 am

Chris, I've lived here since 1989 and I'm not even sure of the official spelling myself. Banks insist on spelling it one way, the post office another way and I've seen the City itself spell it with and without the space! I spell it "LaVergne" but who knows? 🙂

5. April 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm

This has been a pet peeve of mine for 15 years.

According to the old Rutherford Courier, the board changed it from one word to two (Capital L and V) officially in 1988.

We cannot drop the g as some have mentioned. The man for whom the city is named came from a Lavergne (spelled as one word to this day) in France. I believe there are somewhere around 14 different cities spelled Lavergne in France.

Our sister city — in the province of Lot in Southwestern France — spells it as one word (small v). They do not know why we changed it nor do I.

The DNJ, Post, Tennessean and a few other media outlets do spell it correctly.

My argument for spelling it right is that it is a board decision, so why can't we all spell it the same?

Yes, the city still uses one word in some instances, but the official press releases that go out from the city spell it as two words, the proper spelling.

Part of the reason that the city spells it as one is that the change was made after some buildings, logos, etc. were already in place. City Hall was built in 1983, five years before the change.

I've tried since I was at the Courier to get people to spell it right, but some people just don't want to do it correctly.

I can tell you that I signed up for Yahoo alerts about 10 years ago and as far as I can tell — we're the only city in the WORLD that spells it as two words with a g.

All of the alerts I get from around the world pertain to us.

Ideally, I wish everyone would jump on board and do the correct thing, but I realize it's not going to happen.

Thanks for asking!

April 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Interesting history on the spelling, Angie. Nice to know I'm not the only one with this particular pet peeve. Ordering things online or using mapping software usually proves interesting, as well. Most sites seem to prefer "Lavergne" as one word. Drives me crazy!

6. MIKE SLINKER
    April 27, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Good afternoon. I just spoke with one of my co-workers today who frequents this site under our company's IP address and she asked that I check in again and post some of the great news going around the circuit regarding Roy Waldron School Playground Pepsi Challenge! Hopefully, each of you have heard of this opportunity, but if not here is the latest news…

With the communities help, Roy Waldron School in La Vergne has moved up from ranking position # 60 to #13 nationally. They only need to be in the top 10 to win the $25,000 Pepsi Refresh Project donation for a new playground for the students.

Go to http://www.rws.rcs.k12.tn.us. On the right side of their web page, click on Roy Waldron's Playground. Follow the directions from there, and vote for their playground. You may vote one time per day on each IP address available to you. Tell everyone you know to help out by voting each day.

Voting ends on April 30, so don't wait! The school only need to move 3 more spots.

• michaelinLV
      April 27, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Wait, the person from your office who was on here as "anonymous" and was talking about you being a great candidate but apparently couldnt remember your name… that person works for you??

7. mark
    April 27, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I hear that the new H.R. director has been let go? hmmm interesting.

I also see that there isnt much being said about the rock quarry now either and wonder i they found out who dropped the ball. I bet they arent going to tell us who dropped the ball or even find out why the water bills werent sent out.

April 27, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Actually, the quarry mess was on the agenda for the planning commission meeting tonight, but I'm not really sure what transpired. Senna, could you fill us in?

• Alderman Senna Mosle
        April 28, 2010 at 8:26 am

The Ordinance before the Planning Commission last night was dealing with I-3 zoning. This Ordinance 2010-06 is putting more restrictions on quarring/mining operations. The planning commission last night simply voted to keep a section in the ordinance that gives distance requirments(1/2miles from schools and shall set backat least 2,000 feet from public right od ways,churches, and residential). Their vote is to simply send a favorable or unfavorable recommedation the the Board of Mayor/Alderman. Their vote was favorable in keeping these requirments. The Planning Commission does not have anything to do with the current quarry situation. I know all of this is very confussing. I too am a little confused as to why a judge put a TRO on the city and allowed the quarry to continue until April 29th when we appear in court. I do not understand how a judge can go against our ordinances. I will be in court to hear the arguments myself and report back what happens. I can not get a straight answer as to how long the quarry has been operating, but do know that is has been longer than 5 years according to sourses. I would like to know where the 5 years came from when the city started looking for payment for water. I would think the true date would be brought out in court. I will infrom you on what I find out tomorrow.

8. mark
    April 28, 2010 at 5:25 am

Well there better be something done with the quarry. I know for a FACT that there have been open accounts for builders and meters ran but no bills sent out and then after about 5 or so months accounts are closed. No one seems to know why there wasnt bills sent out and the builders owe some money for water. Mayor you need to get inside the water dept and clean this crap up. People are made fun of in there and policies change on the hour depending on how certain folks feel.

DO AN AUDIT AND SOON AND YOU WILL FIND OUT WHATS REALLY GOING ON IN THIS DEPT. ALSO ASK YOU EMPLOYEES WHAT GOING ON. 30 SOME PAGES OF DOCUMENTATION SHOULD TELL YOU WHATS GOING ON. ASK DO TELL!!!

• mark
      April 28, 2010 at 5:31 am

take a look at this I found online the other day . go down to Nov 1990 and you can see the state found many things wrong back then and it looks like to me this hasnt changed much.

9. chris farmer
    April 28, 2010 at 5:44 am

Mark which part of the water department are you referring to? There are several parts. U have the guys who fix the lines. Then meter reading side. Then the water distribution side. Or are you referring to them as a whole?

• mark
      April 28, 2010 at 5:53 am

the office part of it.

• chris farmer
        April 28, 2010 at 6:28 am

gotcha. that is the one i was thinking of too.

10. mark
    April 28, 2010 at 6:48 am

I sent you an email Chris

11. mark
    April 28, 2010 at 8:31 am

here is some info from back when Ms. Greene was mayor and it was in 2005 that the city wrote off $54,548.29 in unpaid water fees. this was for a 10 yr period. this link also has the list of everyone that owes a water bill to the city from this time period.

12. mark
    April 28, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I have been online most of the day looking at documents from the city's website and this is what I have found under the resolustions area on the website. water bills wrote off.

2009-01 $59,126.41
    2009-31 $92,267.09
    2009-32 $ 5,360.99
    2008-01 $65,383.35
    2008-17 $81,601.86
    2006-18 $165,853.00
    2005-01 $16,161.00
    2005-08 $96,955.14
    2005-20 $54,548.29

this is all public record for all of us to see online or call and get from city hall.

A side note: there is several times on the list of people who havent paid their accounts the name of Music City camgrounds. their bills each time is in the thousands but they still have water turned on. why is this happening? the people of La Vergne need answers and they need answers NOW!!

take a look at the city's website to see for yourself and you will fall out of your chair.

Court for the rock quarry is tomorrow at 9a in the Boro. cant wait to see what is going to happen then. I will be watching……

• Jenn
      April 28, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I email Grant Green a while back concerning what is now the mini strip mall behind regions bank. And of course Shreibman owns that land. But according to Grant, there has been talk of getting rid of the campground and the weekly rentals motel and building more retail. BRING IT!!!
      Any word on the overlay? If that goes through and if it's really true that the campground and motel goes away. I think that would help my home value. tremendously.

13. April 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Judge Corlew decided this morning in a hearing about the controversial Rock Quarry that they cannot operate as a quarry (i.e. they cannot sell rock from the location.) Howver, they can still operate as a mining facility, clearing the land, grading the land and mining the rock. This activitiy will include blasting. Judge Corlew said that the quarry owners cannot receive a temporary injunction to continue operations as usual.

14. chris farmer
    April 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Since they can still operate as a mining facility and clearing the land. You said they were not to operate as a Quarry and sell rock on site. Does this mean they will transfer the rock off site and then sell it? If so where does this solve any issues? I am no trying to stir the pot anymore than it has already been done, but this is all the information I have on it and it seems a little vague.

April 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm
  16. mark
    April 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm

whose to say they still wont sell the rock? who is going to be watching them?

will they be made to pay the past due water bills?

17. August 2, 2010 at 7:43 am

I don't know if I can support Senna for Mayor. After supporting her for Alderman she dropped off the face of the earth. Couldn't get an email to her or from her, no returned calls. So I'll have to look elsewhere, but then again no one even campaigns in our part of LaVergne.

18. Alderman Senna Mosle
    August 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hi Jason,
    I am very sorry that you feel this way. I keep ALL records showing emails and responses. The last time you emailed me was on 12-29-09 regarding the happens in the city, I responed on 12-30-09 and gave a briefing. My emails have not changed nor has my phone numbers. smosley@lavergne.org, sennamosley@tds.net, 793-2469 home and 405-1571 city cell. I have caller I.D. answering machine, voice mail etc. I understand if you choose not to vote for me, but to say I don't return phone calls and emails is just not the case. I love this city and the citizens and will continue to work in their best interest. I hope that you will find a candidate for Mayor that fits your needs. Just know that I am still here,still working and will continue to do so for ALL sections of La Vergne.

19. Cee Dee
    August 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

Strange "Jason Cole" as Senna always returns calls & emails from citizens. What part of La Vergne do you live in? She is the ONLY ONE who has ever responded to calls I've made — and there have been many regarding issues in the city . . . some of those in office apparently too busy with their own businesses, musical goals, hair appointments etc. to get "involved" with the problems the city faces. Sad, but true. Senna always answers . . . thank you, Senna.

20. Cee Dee
    August 2, 2010 at 11:34 am

Jason — I have also found that the best way to email Senna is thru her home email address — sennamosley@tds.net — as sometimes she does not seem to get the emails sent to her city email address for some reason.

August 2, 2010 at 11:45 am

Jason, I have to agree with Cee Dee that Senna is responsive when I contact her. I won't go so far as to say she is the only one who is responsive, but she is definitely better than most. I guess it would be nice to have some of our elected officials send out quarterly newsletters like Bob Clement used to do. But other than that I don't expect anyone to pick up the phone or knock on my door every now and then just to ask how I'm doing.

Is there something specific that you do like about Mike Slinker or Ronnie Erwin that would make you want to vote for them? Or do you just want to vote against Senna?

So far I haven't heard anything from any of the candidates regarding their plans for the city as mayor. That's not a criticism as it is still early in the process, but I would encourage you to give it a little more time before casting your vote.

22. August 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm

The email through the city when I tried to email her 2 months ago popped back saying account not found. I live over by Rock Springs Elementary School off Beard Ct. I haven't chosen any candidate to support although I'm not a fan of Ronnie for his illegal immigration stance. Nice man but not the best in that dept for me. Maybe this was something with lavergne's servers, etc.
    I have gotten a personal call from Mr Waldren but he doesn't like me too much from our phone call since I told him I was supporting him during the elections.
    Anymore questions for the "Jason Cole". Sorry that made me laugh. I'm real here people.

23. Alderman Senna Mosle
    August 2, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Jason I just sent you an email from my city site. It was the old email sent 12-29-09 with my response. I found all your emails and my responses. Hope this helps. I have also given you my personal email address along with all my phone numbers. The only change I know of is my personal email is at tds. since the last mayoral race, but I have published it many times on this site. I also remember having conversations with you via the phone. Not sure why you could not email me at the city, but now you have all my info. Thanks for letting me know and look forward to hearing from you.

24. Katherine Kandy Pier
    August 4, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Dear Kathy and La Vergne Citizens I am a qualified candidate running for an Alderwoman position as of two weeks ago and am legally able to accept donations for campaigning. I did make a statement on this site in June, to introduce myself, after getting my qualifying signatures and due to a family issue had to delay the other paper work that is now complete. Sorry for that time lapse. I would appreciate the opportunity to answer any questions from or talk with any and all citizens interested in talking with me. You may call me at 793-9864 or 631-5116, also feel free to email me at jkpierce@tds.net. Those that know me know I am a hard worker, determined to do my best, and get all the needed information before I act on a daily basis. Therefore, if I am given the opportunity to serve this city as Alderwoman I will bring these qualities and more to the Board. Best of luck to all that choose to run and may this city benefit from this election during the next four years.

25. Jason
    September 26, 2010 at 7:49 pm

To all candidates for office in LaVergne, What is your party affiliation?

26. September 27, 2010 at 10:42 am

See… I think our emphasis on party affiliation in this nation is exactly what is wrong with our country today. If people (members of Congress) concentrated on what is good for us instead of voting because that's what their party says they have to do, then we'd be in a LOT better shape.

I don't care who the candidates are supporting nationally… I want to know what they're going to accomplish for the city and how they're going to do it.

I don't think party affiliation has any place in a local election. But that's just my opinion.

• michaelinLV
      September 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I have a source who tells me they all would run as Democrats if we voted in a party system.

In fairness I would say most of them are "dixie-crats" and support the democratic party moreso because their grand-daddy voted democrat and not so much because they are left-leaning loonies!

I would like to see party affiliation in local elections simply because that gives you more insight into the person, after all these guys aren't just rubber stamps. The more I know about a person, the better a decision I can make about how they will lead.

• Jason
        September 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm

If our elacted officials and candidates employ nostalgia as their political compass, then woe be to all of us. The stereotype holds true that in small town politics; The good ole boy/girl machine is alive and well. (and living in LaVergne)

• September 27, 2010 at 3:22 pm

In this Jason and I agree! The good ol' boy network is alive and well in LaV, I have thought about writing a book on the political history of the town, but am afraid of the retribution!! 😉

27. Jason
    September 27, 2010 at 11:41 am

Poor niave Kathy. My question speaks to the core of one's political philosophy. And since these local elections are too small for proper campaign advertising, I don't know these people. So, by extension, I will be able to cast my vote in good conscience if I know their party.

For clarification, I am a different Jason than earlier in this thread. I am Renaissanceman360@gmail.com.

28. September 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

Poor naive Kathy? Hahahaha! You have me cracking up here, Jason. Speaking of campaign advertising, I also hate the attack ads that the national candidates use. I'm soooo much more interested in where candidates actually stand on each issue … again the reason I want to know where they stand on local issues.

• Jason
      September 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm

In all larger elections, every candidate has a campaign website that clearly articulates his stand on issues. If our locals do indeed have websites, I am not aware of them. Please advise.
      By the way, I don't mind attack ads so long as they are truthful. And if you think negative campaigns are bad here, you should follow British elections. Americans are lightweights comparatively.

29. Katherine Kandy Pier
    September 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I have no problem answering the party question. I was raised Democrat and learned over the years that once I learned more about the candidates that I voted Republican much more in the past tens years. So if I must pick a side it would be Republican, but I would rather vote for the person and not the party. As for this city we need a change and party is not the issue that needs to be the main concern. The good ol’ boy network is alive and well in La Vergne and it is up to the citizens to change that by voting either in early voting from Oct. 13th thru Oct. 28th or on Nov. 2nd.
    There is one more chance to meet the candidates on Oct. 8th at the Memorial Park from 4 to 8pm. I will be there from 5pm to 8pm and am more than happy to answer any questions.