Work Stopped at Quarry

The city of LaVergne took action today and ordered mining work to stop at the quarry operating in violation of the city’s zoning ordinances.  According to the DNJ,

Erwin said he and Chief Codes Inspector Derek Beard visited the site Thursday morning and informed the site supervisor that the activity was no longer permissible.  “He complied immediately and stopped work,” the mayor said.

The property is owned by Roy Waldron, cousin of Alderman Dennis Waldron.  The company had been hired to grade the site by in 2000, Erwin said, but did not know how the owner planned to use it.

The business will appeal in court to reopen, so we’ll eventually learn what side of the issue the law lands upon.  From WKRN,

Since the stop work order was posted, Erwin said Duggin Construction’s attorney has filed paperwork asking the company be allowed to temporarily continue work while the zoning issues are worked out.

Now if we can just get the sign ordinances enforced!

Photo from WKRN.

23 comments for “Work Stopped at Quarry

1. mark
    April 16, 2010 at 7:30 am

Another article today in the DNJ states that they have been selling rocks. Does the city get any revenue from this? If they do then awesome but what I hear is that the city hasnt gotten a dime. Maybe the city should take these crooks to court to get back revenue that is owed to the city of LaVergne that way it will help cover cost of things the city needs!!

2. Ivy
    April 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

….and now Judge Corlew has ordered that the quarry can operate. http://www.dnj.com/article/20100416/NEWS01/100416

3. mark
    April 16, 2010 at 9:53 am

Oh the drama has started and its going to get even better so please watch here for more details to come……lol

4. Cee Dee
    April 16, 2010 at 10:02 am

I'd say there's a lot more to this story — in my OPINION someone has to be making money on this deal!

5. mark
    April 16, 2010 at 10:07 am

cee dee,

the story is just getting going. I have talked to a few people this morning and its going to get very intersting today and now on.

6. Cee Dee
    April 16, 2010 at 10:41 am

You know SOMEONE at City Hall knew about this quarry!! Can fool some of the people some of the time but . . . .

7. mark
    April 16, 2010 at 10:45 am

cee dee,

email me

bearroller9640@yahoo.com

8. mark
    April 16, 2010 at 4:12 pm

watch channel 4 at 6pm you will see alot….its really something to see that this has been going on.

9. mark
    April 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm

the quarry has been using water since 2005 without getting a bill..someone isnt doing thier job.

10. blah blah
    April 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I'm not sure whose fault this would be – the water meter was connected to a fire hydrant. It may not be the fault of any city employee. It's not like it was a regular water meter that the city installed. Duggin could have done this on their own. The only problem I see is that the fire hydrants are supposed to be inspected twice a year – did the city just not know about the hydrant?? I bet that ends up being the excuse. I'm sure our "singing" mayor will find someone to blame and it sure won't fall on him.

11. Jennifer
    April 16, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Why is it all the sudden I'm seeing Erwin on tv saying, "we're going to get to bottom of this" a lot more? All if the sudden he's concerned about the city and what's going on? The only time I saw him on tv in the past 4 years was to wish us a merry Christmas. Is he running for mayor again? I sure hope no.

• mark
      April 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm

yes it is an election year so he is worried now about being re-elected. there is so much going on that needs to be addressed that it will take years to get figured out and resolved. I hope that Senna does run for mayor. I feel that she would win and win BIG!!

Senna 2010

12. mark
    April 16, 2010 at 5:36 pm

It is a city meter(fact). My question is this why was it hidden in a bush? why wasnt a water bill sent out? If your water bill was later they would cut you off in a minute and then charge you $50 to reconnect. did the meter readers go out and read this meter? If they did then someone knew something about htis and didnt do anything about it for 5 yrs or more! I see money that the city could have used but they didnt get a dime! so very sad.

April 16, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Kinda reminds me of when Driftwood Inn didn't pay their water bill for several years. If I recall correctly, they finally paid a small percentage of it and the City ate the rest.

I predict this quarry fiasco will be the final nail in Erwin's coffin. Senna, are you ready to step up to the plate?

14. Alderman Senna Mosle
    April 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm

YOU BET!!!!!!!!! If yall are willing to give me a chance I am willing. This is a city commerical meter. There is a 500 deposit required. Yes the city knew it was there. No no one can seem to find the money for the deposit and no, water billing has not sent out any bills. It is very much like little Driftwood. I was told that it would probably be around 5000 for the last 5+ years. What a crock!!! My math shows at least half million for the 10 years they have been in business. I saw the meter and believe me it is hidden. It was running no-stop. From Thursday until around 10:15 today it showed 16,100. The average home uses around 3500 to 4000. The average water bill around 50.This isn't even commerical rate. you do the math for 10 years. I am using 10 years because I have been told 2000 and 2001. Now, I may not be figuring this correctly. I am just using basic info from a home bill. But 1000 for a year?

15. Gunner M.
    April 17, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I keep hearing from people in LaVergne "we need a new council and mayor" and have heard it for years, but not one thing seems to change. This last year has shown how much needs to be worked on and how much change is needed at the top…the time is ripe for action people.

• nclb
      April 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm

You're so right on this, it's time for change…….. I'm just feed up with ALL talk and no action!!

16. blah blah
    April 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Just remember folks – leadership starts at the top and goes down. We need to elect reasonable, educated people to the council positions.

The problem with elections is it's just a popularity contest. You don't have to have any brains or experience to be elected. Look at who we have leading our city right now – the man can't hardly read. Now he's trying to start a music career. He needs to be focusing on making the best decisions for the city and not about himself. I don't think any of our current board members have a 4-year college degree. I'm not saying that is the most important thing, but I feel a good education helps. You can't hardly get a good job anymore without a good education. I think it is important for our leaders as well.

The board also needs to take away the hire and fire responsibility from the mayor. They need to hire an honest, professional city manager to lead the city. In the current setup, the city manager is just a pawn, who doesn't really have much authority. Put someone in there that can run the day to day operations instead of leaving it to someone who can only win a popularity contest. There are good, honest, hard-working employees that work for the city, but without the right leadership in place, the good employees can't get anything done.

La Vergne is way behind the times when it comes to infrastructure and staffing of the police and fire departments. We will need to pass a tax increase in order to get where we need to be. Water and sewer rates have not been increased in many years, but yet we are running a 1.1 million dollar deficit?? The main reason for this is the huge increase in treatment fees that Metro now charges La Vergne. I think the city was paying $0.45 cents per thousand gallons, now the city is paying something like $1.15 per thousand gallons. The city cannot keep absorbing this cost. We have no other choice.

It's coming people. Just get ready. If we want to improve our city, it's going to have to happen.

• mark
      April 17, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Blah Blah,

You are correct on many things in this last post. I do know that Mrs Mosley has some college andshe stated to me that she would love to go back to get her degree. I think she told me she had 82 credits hours so far. What does the mayor have? I say ZERO!!

The people need to take a stand do whats right for the city and stop trying to vote in their favorites. I know this election year is probably going to get very very dirty and hateful.

The older folks in LaVergne are set in their ways and will only vote for those they like. they will not vote for the ones that will and can do the job!

I have said many times the problems at a certain dept on this site but people tell me I dont know what I am talking about but I want really do. There is so much more I would love to say but cant right now. Everyone is just going to have to wait and see and then come back to me and tell me I dont know what I am talking about.

17. mark
    April 18, 2010 at 5:40 am

I have found some interesting pages from the EPA and they have this quarry listed as such. here are the sites I have found so go take a look at them and see what the EPA has found.

18. Cee Dee
    April 19, 2010 at 9:08 am

Mark — Good work on finding this info from the EPA. I guess if it's listed as a quarry by the EPA, then how can they (the owners) argue it's not!! Also one would have to wonder WHY NO INSPECTIONS BY THE STATE — looks very funny, huh? Why are heads turned the other way on this — not only in La Vergne, but also at the state level?????

19. mark
    April 19, 2010 at 9:23 am

Cee Dee,

I agree. I see someone posted a comment on the DNJ.coms article over the weekend stating the fact that the permit has Duggins listed as a rock quarry. so I wonder if the permit from back 2000 states this and wonder if this is public record?

Also why wasnt a water bill ever sent out? I know everyone in LaVergne gets a water or at least should get one. Someone has dropped the ball the on this and wonder what will happen?

Will the mayor take care of this problem so the tax payers of the great city of Lavergne dont have to worry anymore? Let's hope so.

I have many friends and family that live in Lavergne and they are very upset with all the findings and things going on with this rock quarry.