Three Day Weekend… Whee!

When I was a kid and we got spring break at school, it was always arranged around the Easter holiday.  Have they changed it to be more sensitive to people of religions outside of Chrisianity?  Anyway, glad to hear school is out tomorrow for Rutherford County.  Maybe I’ll be able to sleep past 6:00 a.m.!

What are your plans for this weekend?  Celebrating Easter?  Celebrating warm weather?  Bracing for Saturday’s expected thunderstorms?

Are there any community Easter egg hunts?  I know the city’s was last weekend, but how about neighborhood or church egg hunts?   One of the worst smells in the world is when you find a forgotten boiled Easter egg while mowing the lawn a few weeks after the fact.

However, if you’ve found them all and need to know what to do with them all, here’s a link to some hard-boiled egg recipes… most have caviar which 1) I never developed a taste for, and 2) Couldn’t afford even if I had, but some are good (potato salad!).  And more recipes.

Have a great 3-day weekend, LaVergne!

Photo by zappowbang via flickr creative commons.

7 comments for “Three Day Weekend… Whee!

April 1, 2010 at 1:52 pm

The Nashville Zoo is havingtheir easter egg hunt this Saturday. We will be attendin, weather permitting. I did not hear great things about the LV ester egg hunt. I heard there were too many kids/not enough eggs.

2. C
    April 1, 2010 at 2:40 pm

thats why i quit going

3. Kitti
    April 1, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I like the fact that spring break is at the beginning of spring instead of around Easter. That way it's always the same time of year.

April 2, 2010 at 8:58 am

Kitti, I agree for the most part, but Rutherford County changed their spring break dates after school had already started last fall. I understand why they did it, but it really screwed up alot of people's plans, including mine!

5. Rocket
    April 3, 2010 at 2:56 am

Heading to Grandfather Mountain for the Easter weekend! Great little get-away in North Carolina very close to the Tennessee border. Ahhhh, take me to the mountains!

6. April 12, 2010 at 6:48 am

Michael–

Please call me at 207-4678 or e-mail me at amayes(at)lavergne (dot) org and let me know what you've heard about the egg hunt.

I'd like to hear things from the community so that we can improve on it next year.

Overall, I've only heard good things about the hunt. But, if there's any concerns, I'd love to hear them.

There's no way we can improve unless we know what the community has to say.

Thanks in advance for helping us with this issue.

Angie

April 13, 2010 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the response Angie. I personally did not go to the LV Easter egg hunt so my information is only second hand. My neighbor (who also reads this blog and will hopefully take my hint to call you) went and with his family and said we did not miss anything. He said there were not enough eggs and that the parents were fighting each other over the eggs.

I would suggest you consider following what the Nashville zoo did because their hunt was great. They split the kids up into age groups (we were in the 2 and under group) and specify that only the kids can actually pick up eggs. Parents were allowed to walk around with the 2 and 3 year olds, but parents were not allowed in the field with kids 4+. And there were more than enough eggs. My son filled his basket and was still surrounded by eggs within about 5 minutes.

Of course, these large easter egg hunts are all missing something. Usually it's just a bunch of plastic eggs dumped in a field, there is no "hunting" involved. Now if you could find a way to actually hide enough eggs for hundreds of kids to hunt, then you'd have something good!