Roof Collapses at Smyrna Bowling Center

UPDATE 3:42 p.m., 1/31/2010: From WKRN, Ice, snow causes bowling center roof to collapse

UPDATE 1:45 p.m., 1/31/2010: From the DNJ, Roof collapses at Smyrna Bowling Center.

Photo posted on Mark’s facebook page, taken by mechanic.

UPDATE 12:09 p.m., 1/31/2010: Become a fan of the Smyrna Bowling Center on Facebook.

UPDATE 11:42 a.m., 1/31/2010: From the DNJ, Tournament Postponed.

My friend works nights at the Smyrna Bowling Center and how fortunate we have been in this area to have this 24-hour, 7 days a week recreational facility.  Bad news is that for what will probably be several months, we’ll have to go somewhere else to bowl morning, noon and night.

Fortunately only three lanes were being used last night when staff heard a loud noise.  They looked up to see the roof moving and watched in horror as the roof collapses from the weight of the icy snow.  Here’s a photo from the inside taken by one of the worker’s cell phones,

The owners are of course talking to their insurance company, but until engineers say the building is safe to enter they can’t even get inside.  There will probably be extensive water damage where water lines were broken in the collapse causing water to run through and under most of the state-of-the-art wooden lanes.

If any of you know of any temporary work for my friends who work at the bowling center, please contact me. Meanwhile, I hope the owners and employees know how sorry we are that this has happened… we wish you godspeed in making the repairs.

Coverage from the Chattanoogan.

5 comments for “Roof Collapses at Smyrna Bowling Center

1. mark
    January 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

Thanks Kathy…it was a very scarey ordeal and I am so glad that we didn't have many people in there because someone would have got hurt. no injuries tho which is always good. watch my blog or the website for details on reopening at http://www.smyrna-bowling-center.blogspot.com/ or smyrnabowling.com.

2. January 31, 2010 at 10:41 am

The Police Athletic League bowling league will not meet today from 2 – 4. With the situation at the Bowling Center, we will kick the program up again as soon as possible.

For information on the PAL, contact Executive Director Gerry Howse at pal (at) lavergne.org or ghowse (at) lavergne.org.

Thanks for supporting PAL. It's making a difference in children's and parent's lives.

3. mark
    January 31, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Angie,

We are working hard right now to get the center back up and running. I hear that we should be up and running again within the week and half. I will be updating everyone on facebook so add me everyone name is mark gunn

4. February 1, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Mark —

I know the families sure look forward to their bowling league and can't wait for you all to get the Center up and running again.

5. mark
    February 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Angie,

I was by there today and was told by Sue B. that it will probably be 3 weeks before we can open with 36 lanes. Now the leagues will be told when they can start back. Brunswhick has to come in and inspect all the other lanes to make sure we are up to par and with their guidelines. I will let Mrs. Tyson know the updates so she can post them here on this blog.