I have a question…

that has been bugging me for years – 8 at the least.  What is up with that dilapidated house on Chaney Rd?  I’m sure you know the one I’m speaking of…. it’s kitty-corner from the little white church on Sanford Dr.  That is a huge lot that surely could be used for something useful with a lot more “eye appeal”…

Discussion?

12 comments for “I have a question…

1. Brandon
    January 13, 2010 at 8:17 am

My wife and I have been wondering that ourselves for the last 6 years. We live off of Sanders and we drive by that house all the time. We can't stand to see it. I wished that it would be torn down. It looks like a haunted house. The first time my in-laws came to see us, I jokingly gave them directions to that house and they almost had a heart attack. It was pretty funny. But yes, it is time for that house to go.

2. Will
    January 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

I have been wondering the same thing as well. I am surprised the city has not made the owner tear it down due to it being a fire/health/safety hazard.

January 13, 2010 at 9:07 am

I too have wondered about that property, but let’s think this through. Assuming the city has condemned the property, it’s the homeowners liability now. They city could force him the owner to demolish the building, but if the owner refuses, the city would have to do it and us taxpayers would foot the bill. That cost could be charged to the owner and a lien placed on the property, but since that hasn’t happened yet, I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

I would imagine our friend Senna Moseley who lives right nearby might know the owner and have some insight?

The Cheney Road corridor (and Old Nashville Highway) are both great locations for La Vergne to grow. Put in a 3 lane road with sidewalks, and I’m sure when the economy rebounds you could attract a couple of new subdivisions and maybe some retail to come to that area. The city missed the boat in the’02-’07 boom, hopefully we’ll catch it next time around.

4. Alderman Senna Mosle
    January 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I am going to try and answer this question. The owner of this property just aquired these lots about 2- 4 years ago. At the time it was purchased if you will remember, it was covered with an old trailor, old camper, trash, tires, junk,cars etc. The lot next to it had 4 old trailors and 20 dumpsters of tires and trash removed. The owner had this property sold last year to a group that was going to build a gated condo community. This property is zoned R-3. The deal feel thru due to sewer issues with the city. The owner has discussed redoing the house if the property does not sell and has also looked into removing the old house both being very costly and with the economy the way it is right now the owner is at a stand still. I understand the concerns, but believe me we have much worse looking areas inwhich the people are not even trying to clean it up. Hey, at least these people are paying their taxes on this old place!! I am not taking up for anyone just giving information.

• Kitti
      January 18, 2010 at 8:30 am

Thank you, Senna! My daughter and I drive past that house quite often and always hope to see it either repaired or removed.

Someone here mentioned a small white house with a collapsing roof; it is the third or fourth house from the corner of Chaney and ONHwy, across from the treed area. There are cars parked around it.

January 13, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling there was more to the story!

I don't like more R3 zoning though, I thought the city placed a moritorium on that?

6. Alderman Senna Mosle
    January 13, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Michael,
    This property has been zoned R-3 long before I was ever elected and before the current owner bought the property. We do not know who had it zoned R-3. I believe a lot of Chaney is R-3. I would have to revisit the map. If you have any more questions please give me a call or email me. Thanks for caring.

7. LV2LV
    January 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

since we are in that area….what about the house that is on Chaney that is just off of Old Nashville its on the right if you are coming from LHS just past the Little white church and the cute little red roofed house. This house is a dingy white/greyish house and the roof appears to be sinking in daily…. but yet someone is still living in it?? What is the City's stand on that kind of condition? When is a home considered condemnable? It seems to be a dangerous situation for a homeowner who for whatever reason has not fixed the roof/structure? The home you all are speaking of at least looks structuraly sound.

• Alderman Senna Mosle
      January 16, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Not sure which one you are talking about, but will ride down Chaney to see. I honestly do not know the answer to your questions, but give me time and I will find the answers out.

8. jennifer
    January 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I have a question. This will be my first opportunity to vote in La Vergne, and I'm very excited. I was wondering when are we going to start seeing signs for the upcoming mayoral race. I know it's only January but, I don't know the regulations on things like that. Any word on who would be running?

9. Angie B
    January 19, 2010 at 7:29 am

Senna, while you're cruising the neighborhood, check out the house on Old Nash Hwy, the one with the perpetual yard sale. That is the junkiest place around. Right now they still have their Christmas decorations up and there are so many childrens toys in the yard, there is no way a child could play in that mess. Are there any codes in place that could make them clean the place up?

10. Joey