9 comments for “Do You Want Snow?

1. January 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

its not going to snow because they are calling for it. this happens every year and they get eople into a panic mode and then to the stores to stock up. its all a gimmick!

January 6, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I agree Bear, every year we hear this. The biggest snow we've had in my time here was in 2003 when we had 3 FEET of snow. No one was expecting the snow, in fact all schools were in session that day.

• January 6, 2010 at 11:23 pm

MichaelinLV,

I've lived in the middle Tennessee area for my ENTIRE life and I guarantee you that we've NEVER had 3 feet of snow at one time. I remember the day to which you are referring vividly! It was my oldest daughter's freshman year in HS… it was forecast to snow of up to 1 inch. It also was not supposed to accumulate because the ground was supposedly too warm. We ended up getting between 8 – 9 inches of snow but there was ice under the snow. The schools began letting out at 10 am, but by then the buses were getting stuck, etc.

Kids ended up stuck at school for a lot longer than they should've been.

January 7, 2010 at 9:59 am

I remember that day quite well. By the grace of God, I was at Rock Springs Elementary that morning and not at work in Brentwood. When they closed the schools, I grabbed my daughter to ride with me, rather than the bus. I tried to take a couple of neighborhood kids with me too, but the office wouldn't let me. Took me 2 hours to get home, and it's no more than 2 miles. Called my boss to tell him I wasn't coming in, but he had already closed the office and sent everybody home. Took people anywhere from 6-8 hours to go from Brentwood to LaVergne.

What's really interesting is that my husband and a neighbor (both work from home), hopped in their 4-wheel drive trucks and went back to RSE to get a bunch of subdivision kids whose parents were stuck in Nashville. Didn't have to sign them out or anything. If the kid knew him, the school let him take the kid(s) home. Talk about major chaos . . . and major liability issues, but the principal just wanted the kids out of there before they were stranded!

Such fond memories . . . .

January 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I made my poor husband stop by Kroger today for dog food and coffee – both critical if we truly get hit by a winter storm! He said the shelves were pretty much bare.

4. Angie B
    January 7, 2010 at 6:53 am

Why do people feel the need to stock up on milk and toilet paper? I think that is hilarious!!!! Its not like we won't be able to get back out by the end of the day.

January 7, 2010 at 9:39 am

Kinda depends on where you live as to whether you can get out. We have a long, gradual hill in our subdivision – people either can't get up it, or slide off the road trying. I've actually had problems with it myself, and I grew up driving in snow. That plus the fact that I have never seen a snow plow or salt/brine truck in our subdivision for the 20+ years we've lived here, and yes, you can be stuck at a home for a few days. I don't panic and rush to the store, but I make sure that we have the basics (which includes toilet paper, in my book!) 🙂

5. Kitti
    January 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I like snow but not the kind that is coming down, now. It's wet and it's melting on the roads & sidewalks, the very worst kind possible. As cold as it's been, I'd hoped we would get dry, powdery snow. this is the miserable kind. 🙁

Not that complaining about it will change it…

January 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Yep, it's the kind of wet stuff that'll turn into a sheet of ice overnight. I foresee no school tomorrow, either. Dang it, we just got them back to school after Christmas break!